Based on the math feedback from Mark Sherry, I made some changes to the core rules of Picker. Mainly this involved resolving this strange bug where being a Picker was actually more detrimental to each player's score. Based on the revised rules, the simulations show that being a Picker gives you a slight percentile advantage, which better fits the spirit of the game.
Here are the basic changes:
- The dice are different colors, which are now the basis of set bonuses, independent of the results.
- There is no more SHAFT role. It was actually a greater detriment to all AIs and led to lower final scores.
- The PICKER role always picks herself to be first player. Again, this balanced out the anti-picker bug a bit and streamlined the rules.
- The set bonus is streamlined to a linear +3, with a maximum of +15 for a set of 6-of-a-kind.
- Clarified that you can score bonus points for multiple sets, so long as each are a different color.
I've updated the main page with these new rules. Test it out and see what you think! The two-player game still doesn't feel substantial enough. How would you tweak it?
Post a Comment